So this afternoon I got a nice surprise to find that I was nominated for not one, but two Liebster Awards by Anne of Self-Help for Creative Deprived and Marta of The Corner of My Imagination. It’s wonderful feeling to find that, not only does someone read the posts that I write and suffer through them, but two of them actually see them as compelling and inspirational. Anne described her nomination as an honour, and I must admit that I feel exactly the same way – to be included as one of her 11 bloggers worth mentioning, and one of Marta’s 5, brings a giant smile and a small tear to my eye.
So let’s get down to it. What is a Liebster award and what does it involve?
A Liebster award is one that is given by bloggers to worthy blogs with less than 200 followers to promote their content. What do you have to do once you have been nominated?
- List 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions that have been given to you by your nominator.
- Create 11 new questions for your nominees to answer.
- Choose 5 bloggers with 200 or less followers to nominate.
- Go to each blogger’s page and let them know that you have nominated them for the award.
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
So here we go with 11 facts about me:
- My name is Lara, and I am 25 years old.
- I live in Grahamstown, South Africa, which is a tiny town with very little to do aside from blog and drink – I choose the blogging over the booze most of the time.
- I came to Grahamstown to study initially and spent 4 years at Rhodes University – 3 years doing a Bachelor of Arts in English literature and philosophy and one year doing a post graduate diploma in journalism and media studies.
- I live with two men – my boyfriend (Grant) and our good friend (Jono) who has been my housemate for the past 3 years and Grant’s for the past 5.
- I spent one year teaching English in South Korea, and it was one of the best years of my life.
- I returned to Grahamstown after above mentioned year abroad to live with Grant. There was no other reason for me to come back, aside from being deeply in love with him.
- I am an accounts manager at a local Internet Service Provider (ISP), but my passion lies with writing and photography.
- I cannot cook. Or, more specifically, I cannot cook without burning things. I am terrible at it.
- I have an older sister living in London, and my parents live in Cape Town. I’m not particularly close with my family, but I love them. A lot.
- I tend to get itchy feet and love travelling. This means that I rarely have leave stored up at work because I tend to make use of it as often as possible.
- I am terrified of spiders and needles and mildly afraid of moths, insects and pain in general.
So there are my 11 facts. Now, because I have been nominated by 2 people, I actually have 22 questions to answer. Some of them are pretty similar, and in those cases I have joined the questions, but it still does make for a long read, so I have tried to keep my answers as short and sweet as possible.
- Why on earth are you blogging? (Anne) / Why are you writing? (Marta)I write to take my mind off things and I find it to be relaxing, therapeutic and fun.
- What keeps you going when blogging? I tend to write until I have nothing else to write about. I speak my mind, until I run out of things to say, and I go back and edit it before clicking post.
- Where do you look for inspiration?I look at the people around me and the situations that I am faced with everyday. That and the Daily Prompt!
- Who is your role model? Who gives you the most inspiration? And why? Larissa Klazinga is not perfect in any way, but she is a marvellous individual who changed the way that I saw the world and is continually influencing my views.
- If you could any profession in the world (money does not matter), what would you do? I would be a writer (journalist, novelist, poet) and a photographer. Writing for a living has been my dream for as long as I can remember.
- What is the most proud moment in the last year? (Anne) / Tell us one amazing thing that happened to you last month (Marta). I was hired last month to do a photo shoot for a stranger, which in itself was a proud moment for me, but it was a shoot that I had never done before – maternity photography. I was horribly nervous and scared and freaking out on the morning of the shoot, but I pulled myself together, and looking through the photos that came out of it, they are some of the best that I’ve taken, which made me so proud of how far I’ve come.
- What is one thing that you are most proud of in your life?Having had the courage to step outside of my comfort zone and move to a new country without knowing anyone and without any expectations.
- What is on top of your bucket list? Write a successful novel.
- If you could be a famous person for a day, who would that be? I would love to live a day in the life of Jennifer Lawrence. i find her fantastic and oh so fun!
- Cat person or dog lover? Please explain! A bit of both, but leaning more towards cats. I always grew up with animals, but I find cats to be a lot more independent which suits my lifestyle more. I do love dogs, but they are more needy.
- For what can I wake you in the middle of the night? You are welcome to wake me up at any point of the night as long as it’s important. I am one of those people who will be there for you whenever you need me. But knock on my door at 3am or drunk dial me for something random, and I will lose my temper.
- Would you read the book, see the movie or both? Both. I tended to read a lot more when I was younger though as I find that I have less time now days and watching the movie is just so much quicker and easier. But there is nothing like a good book.
- What does freedom mean to you? Freedom means being able to do what you want to, when you want to and how you want to and with whoever you want to.
- What is one thing that you regret most in your life?Not being able to be with my family when they needed me most over the past few years.
- Do you believe in magic?Not in the sense of mystical magical powers. I believe in the magic of life which I am constantly astounded by.
- If you could talk for 15 minutes with someone who is long dead, who would it be?My grandfather, my Biba, who passed away last year and who I have missed everyday since.
- Do you have a favourite motivational quote? If so, tell us about it. “For long you live and high you fly, and love you give and tears you cry, and all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.” I don’t think it needs much explanation.
- What is your favourite place to write?Outside on the grass in the sunlight with nothing but nature surrounding me. Nothing is more peaceful.
- Do you have a pet? If so, what is its name?I have a few really. In Grahamstown, there’s Puddims (cat), Tommy (tortoise) and Midnight (kitten). In Cape Town, there’s Bie Bie, Pammy, Elouise, Tabitha, Marmalade, Pepper (all cats) and Teddy (the Labrador).
- Who is your favourite writer of all time?Whew! A difficult one here! There are so many authors that I adore, but one of my favourites is David Mitchell, whose book Cloud Atlas changed my life.
So this is now a very long way in!! If you have made it this far, I applaud you. And now it is time for my list of nominees:
- First off would have to be Anneke, who I went to university with. Reading her posts always brings a smile to my face and the sense of living vicariously through her into another time in my life, since she ended up going to the same city as I did in Korea and ended up befriending a lot of my friends.
- Next would be the wonderful artist Charlotte Farhan, whose posts and paintings light up my days.
- I adore the photographs and photography that come from Marsowords.
- Fellow Saffa (as the Korean circles called the South Africans) Nanuschka always knows what to say and her posts make for amazing reads.
- And last, but not least, I can always find a great outlook on life from Writing Like a Stoner.
As to my 11 questions, they are as follows:
- Describe yourself in 7 words, no more, no less.
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What is your first memory?
- If you could change just one thing about your life, what would it be?
- What is the closest book to you right now?
- Could you live without technology for a day?
- What is your favourite movie of all time?
- Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
- What was the last dream that you can remember?
- Tell us something highly embarrassing.
And that is that! I hope that a few of you managed to make it through the lot. Thank you once again to my two nominators!!