While I have been writing things down in a notebook, I haven’t been blogging very much of recent. I have written about why before on this blog and won’t make you all suffer through it again, so instead here’s the plan.
I came across an awesome challenge this morning through the Nanowrimo Facebook page, (thank you to Melanie for sharing it) and I thought that it would be an awesome way to get back into the stream of writing again.
So, the challenge for Day 1 is to make 15 book-related confessions. So here are mine:
- There are some movies that I prefer to the books. I love seeing the way that other people have seen the book. I love seeing their interpretation, even if it differs drastically from my own and the way that they have brought it to life on the screen.
- I have never finished Lord of the Rings. I have tried a couple of times. I keep falling asleep somewhere around their arrival at the Prancing Pony. It is a travesty. I am sorry.
- I read the Twilight series and actually enjoyed it in a mindless, this-is-terribly-written-but-I-want-to-keep-reading kind of way.
- I have a special place in my heart reserved for “chick lit” and it is fairly large.
- I love children’s literature and have a stash of books that I am keeping around in the hope that I will be able to read them to my own children one day.
- My knowledge of the “classics” is severely stinted. And by classics, I mean books by authors like Charles Dickens, the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, etc.
- I feel like studying English Literature ruined reading for me. Before I started my English Lit course at university, I was an avid reader. I would pick up anything and everything and would love it all. I cannot remember a single book that I hated before university. I can think of a ton of them now.
- I couldn’t get through half of the reading list for my English Literature course. I have promised myself that I will one day.
- I don’t read nearly as much as I used to. I cannot bring myself to read more than 50 pages in a day.
- I cannot remember the last time that I read a book I couldn’t put down.
- I tend to read books on my Gobii (read South African Kindle) but I like to have a copy of the book on my shelf as well.
- I haven’t read more than half of the books on my bookshelf (although, to be fair, about a quarter of them aren’t mine anyway).
- When buying books, price is one of the biggest deterrents for me. I don’t have a lot of money to spend on books.
- I rarely visit the local bookstore because I find them to be overpriced and understocked. I do, however, visit the charity bookstore in Cape Town whenever I go there. It is one of my first stops.
- I have started writing maybe twenty books in my twenty five years on earth. Not one of them has gotten past the first few chapters.
So, what are your confessions?